Payment transactions on the internet, using VISA SECURE and MASTERCARD IDENTITY CHECK, with bank cards, issued by United Bulgarian Bank AD
02 September 2020
United Bulgarian Bank (UBB) provides its customers with an opportunity to perform payment transactions on the Internet by applying Visa Secure and Mastercard Identity Check protocols, which will enable the Bank to conduct a strong cardholder authentication, based on the requirement to introduce two independent factors – a static 3D Secure Code and a dynamic 3D Secure Code.
The Bank performs automatic registration of all payment cards, issued by UBB, for payment transactions on the Internet with the application of Visa Secure and Mastercard Identity Check.
What do dynamic 3D Secure Code and static 3D Secure Code for secure payments on the Internet stand for?
Dynamic 3D Secure Code is a one-time 6-digit code, generated by the Bank for the purposes of authorizing a payment transaction on the Internet. Code generation is based on the amount and recipient of the specific payment and is send by UBB to the Cardholder’s mobile phone, notified to and registered with the Bank, via a free-of-charge text message (SMS).
Static 3D Secure Code is a permanent code, created by the Cardholder for the purposes of authorizing payment transactions on the Internet, and is known only to him/her. In order to set a static 3D Secure Code, the Cardholder should enter a temporary code, received by the Bank via a free-of-charge text message (SMS) at his/her mobile phone, notified to UBB. The Cardholder should then enter the temporary code in a designated webpage, accessible at UBB’s website www.ubb.bg via "Online payment card registration" link, located on the home page. Afterwards, "REGISTER YOUR CARD FOR ONLINE PAYMENT HERE" link needs to be clicked.
Strong Customer Authentication upon card payment transactions on the Internet requires entering both codes – the static 3D Secure Code, created by the customer and the dynamic 3D Secure Code received via a text message (SMS).
How to create a static 3D Secure Code for secure payments on the Internet
In order to use a static 3D Secure Code upon payments on the Internet, you need to create it in advance for each of your cards.
To create or change a static 3D Secure Code:
- Access UBB’s website at www.ubb.bg, go to "Online payment card registration" link and click on "REGISTER YOUR CARD FOR ONLINE PAYMENT HERE" link. Enter the number of the card, for which you wish to create or change an already existing static 3D Secure Code, and confirm by clicking on the CONTINUE button.
- On the User Verification screen, enter the one-time dynamic code, received via a text message upon process initiation on your mobile phone, which number you have provided to the Bank.
- On the same screen – User Verification – enter the initially received temporary code via a text message on your mobile phone. Confirm by clicking the CONTINUE button.
- On the Change your 3D-Secure parameters screen, enter the static 3D Secure Code you have devised, containing a minimum of 8 characters – a combination of letters, numbers and special symbols. Confirm the code by reentering it.
- On the same screen – Change your 3D-Secure parameters – select the language from the dropdown menu and write a personal message of your choice, which you will see every time you perform a secure payment on the Internet. Confirm your choice by clicking the SAVE button.
How to pay our purchase on the Internet when Strong Customer Authentication is being applied?
- After confirming a purchase on a website of a merchant, participating in the VISA Secure and Mastercard ID Check secure payment programs, a screen with the UBB logo will appear. There you need to enter the dynamic 3D Secure Code, received via a free-of-charge text message (SMS) at the time of purchase, and the static 3D Secure Code you have created in advance (see How to Create a Static Password for Payment on the Internet). Confirm by clicking on the Confirm button. Following the successful entry of both codes, the Strong Customer Authentication will be finalized.
- The next screen will return you once more to the merchant’s payment screen where you may recheck your purchase details. After selecting the Confirm button, the purchase will be finalized.
In case a wrong dynamic 3D Secure Code is entered, it is necessary to reenter both codes – the dynamic 3D Secure Code and the static 3D Secure Code. You have the option to request a new dynamic 3D Secure Code via the New Dynamic Password link. Upon three unsuccessful attempts to enter a dynamic 3D Secure Code and a static 3D Secure Code the payment will be blocked.
Should you forget your static 3D Secure code, call UBB Client Contact Centre at 0 700 117 17 or short number *7171 (for mobile phones).
EXEMPTIONS FROM 3D SECURE APPLICATION!
Strong Customer Authentication applies to shopping on the Internet only from merchants, participating in Visa Secure and Mastercard Identity Check programs for secure payments. The requirement for Strong Customer Authentication is not mandatory for online merchants, having their seat outside the EU.
The Cardholder authorizes card payment transactions on the Internet at the amount of up to EUR 30 (thirty euro) (or the respective equivalence in the account currency) by entering the card number, validity date, and the three-digit code, printed on the reverse side of the card (СVV or СVC). After executing five consecutive payment transactions amounting up to ЕUR 30 (thirty euro), the Cardholder should enter additionally a static 3D Secure Code and a dynamic 3D Secure Code.